overview of the organization
Laird Therapy Dog Rescue helps unwanted dogs become valued community resources.
- We rescue outstanding dogs who would otherwise be killed.
- We help our dogs and others serve their communities as therapy dogs in a wide variety of settings: preschools, K-12, colleges, libraries, camps, senior care facilities, hospitals, etc.
- We present our dogs to the public as shining examples of the overwhelming number of dogs available from shelters and rescue organizations.
- We try to model responsible dog guardianship and assist others in caring for their dogs.
- We feature our dogs in presentations to schools and other community groups about dog bite prevention and responsible dog care.
- We supply dogs for socialization and training of client dogs in behavior consultations, playgroups, and classes.
- We provide pre-trained "loaner dogs" to help people learn to care for dogs before getting dogs of their own.
- We work with foster homes and trainers to ease the stress of caring for our dogs.
- We are developing a self-sustaining operation that allows the group to focus on serving dogs and people instead of soliciting donations.
- We will use our experience to assist other rescue groups.
- We occasionally place dogs in exceptional adoptive homes.
We are located in Rensselaer and West Lafayette, Indiana, USA.