Personal tools
You are here: Home members kylerlaird Kyler's dog blog pulling T-bone
Log in

Forgot your password?
Document Actions

pulling T-bone

by Kyler Laird last modified 2008-10-01 03:13

Another GSD is pulled from JCAS.

date: 2008-09-30 (4743 days ago)

dogs: Aries, Misty/Maddie Bea, T-bone/Tiburon/Tibby

p1040311 p1040312

I've been so fortunate to spend time with three of my favorite GSDs recently: Susha, Maddie Bea, and Aries. I pulled Maddie Bea and Aries from JCAS. Now they live with Susha and her family. They're amazing to watch together; there's something special about GSDs and watching three of them running around a farm is a big treat for me.

I'd been thinking about how much I like GSDs when I got the call that JCAS was packed - 30 dogs (for 7 indoor runs and 4 in the shed, I think). Another rescue would take the pups but the older guys were in jeopardy. I didn't hesitate much before saying I'd pick up T-bone today.

I had lunch with Dad and then ran some errands before heading to the shelter. The weather was nice and T-bone was in the shed. When I approached he sat and was calm but when I opened the door he was all over me. He was much more interested in me than when I first met him. I handled him exuberantly, especially hugging him and pulling, poking and holding his face and neck. No reaction. Despite being so excited to be outside he was extremely patient with my manipulations. I finally gave up before getting anything out of him. He was good to go.

I loaded T-bone in the car as I spoke with the ACO. She said Eli was causing some problems with other people. I knew that I was doing the right thing in leaving Eli there but it was tough.

T-bone seemed comfortable in the car but was restless as we headed to the farm. I let him run alongside the car for about 3/4 of a mile as we got close. He surprised me by heeling beautifully with the car. He ran for a bit but mostly he trotted, frequently glancing over. Watching him move was a thrill. I like his build.

At the farm I tethered T-bone to me while I talked with Dad and the builder who'd installed our new grain bin. T-bone jumped on both of them repeatedly. He was also excited about our farm dog but they got along beautifully. Dad helped me remove a rack from the semi truck I recently purchased and T-bone did well at just settling behind me while we worked for about an hour. Eventually I did untie him from my waist and hook him to the trailer so I could climb on the truck. Then he and the other dog really got to know each other and ended up wrestling quite a bit.  It sounded like it was heated a few times but I think they were both enjoying it.

It's been awhile since I've had a GSD farm dog but T-bone was starting to act the part already. I didn't dare let him off lead but he seemed like he was comfortable in the situation. I put him back in the car while I handled a couple things in the house and he was content to wait.

On the way home T-bone was a little restless a few times but he didn't make any noise. We made it to the kennel just after close but they were ready for us. His adopter hadn't returned T-bone's vaccine records so we gave T-bone another Bordetella dose in the nose. The kennel worker even commented how well T-bone handled it. I let T-bone run around outside and he encountered a little girl with her mom and young GSD/Husky on the other side of the fence. Everyone handled the situation well.

I took T-bone into the kennel and put him into his run without a fuss. I think I found another great Rensselaer GSD.

Powered by Plone CMS, the Open Source Content Management System

This site conforms to the following standards: